Foreign Investment in Taiwan's Agricultural Technology Industry
In order to develop the agricultural technology Industry, import agricultural technology manpower and facilitate the upgrade of the agricultural industry, Taiwan's government has enacted the "Regulation for Establishment and Management of Agricultural Science Parks" as the basis for establishing agricultural science parks on April 7, 2004.
The parks will be specifically tailored for the agricultural technology business, and will be allowed to include research and productive infrastructures, plants, warehouses, daily living facilities and environmental protection facilities. The equipment for use in such parks and the materials, energy, and qualified semi-completed products and samples imported to such parks traded will be exempt from import tax, sales tax and business tax.
To import foreign agricultural technology, foreign companies organized as companies limited by shares and complying with one of the following requirements are allowed to be established in the parks:
- Companies with the ability to develop and research agricultural technology and holding complete plans for production development;
- Companies importing and training Taiwan agricultural technical people in productive, research or development processes.
- Companies with qualifying research and development departments and equipment;
- Companies with creative agricultural technology products under development;
- Companies with domestic or foreign patents for agricultural technology;
- Companies with operational plans which meet Taiwan agricultural policy and developments plans and will benefit Taiwan's development.
Enforcement Rules of the Taiwan Trademark Law Amended
To meet the requirements of the 2003 amended Trademark Law, which took effect last November, the Ministry of Economic Affairs issued amended Enforcement Rules for the Taiwan Trademark Law. The major amendments include:
- Allowing applicants to issue a general power of attorney for current and future trademark matters;
- Specifying the documents and specifications required for applications for a mark composed of colors, sounds or three-dimensional design;
- Specifying the documents required for divisional applications;
- Simplifying the requirements for trademark license recordation; and
- Specifying the documents required for collective mark applications.